There's a Tesla Model 3 tracker up linked off this article
Model 3 Tracker Now Available For Reservation Holders – Loads Of Early Data
Tesla Model 3 Tracker
Thursday, April 14, 2016
Monday, April 4, 2016
UpdateGot a camper on Craigslist using the below research for $800, a 1997 Coleman Toas. Canvas is almost gone, but it's waterproof. Put on new tires. Family loves it. Of course we're using it more in the back yard then camping. Here's the post.
Summary of My Research int Pop-Ups and ultralight RVs.
- Rent first and try out the idea of Pop-ups and small RVs first. Pop-ups are rentable, but hard to find. For big RVs, Cruise America, the main RV rental in the US. The sometimes have really good one way rentals for delivering new RVs from Chicago to all over the US. Really cheap. See: http://www.cruiseamerica.com/factory-deliveries/
- Danger. Why?: RVs are like sailboats and real estate for me - dangerous avenues of potential "grass is greener' fantasy play. But they are for a reason, because they do rock! But you will use them less than you think and they will cost more than you think. I have to be careful to monitor why I become so suddenly passionate about them. What am I avoiding?
- My favorite Pop-up: Livin Light QuickSilver 8.1 or 10 site. We've seen these new in RV stores. They are awesome for us, but pricey. But they use aluminum, no wood and little plastic. Durable, light, simple, seems worth it if used a lot, need to store outside, and can take care of it).
- I dream of and could actually afford used someday: A Scamp 13', fiberglass hard top. I love their bunk beds and simple layout. 5 to 10K. Photos here on Google Images. Fiberglass RV 4 Sale.com here.
- I dream of and can't ever probably afford: Happy Camper from California makes a great tiny RV that you can get with nothing or just beds, etc. Expensive, but this is what I wish other's would do more of! and the strange and expensive adventure Cricket camper.
- Simple, no need for airconditioning, heating, toilets, shower, refreiderators, or lots of plastic. We're campers who just want to get off the ground.
- Small enough for our 2009 Subaru Forester to pull, so about 1500 lbs.
- Sleeps four. But two are small kids and we can fit in a large full.
- Low budget.
My Craigslist Alerts for Small Pop Up CampersI got a free account on Craigslist and set up alerts. I get an email right when a new listing is up. This will keep me from getting fired from too much surfing during work!
- Vermont "pop up" "camper" sorted by newest.
Western Mass "pop up" "camper" sorted by newest.
This also covers the words "Pop-up" but one could add "trailer" or "tent"
- Specific Model in region. New Hampshire "Palomino" "Pony" "280"'
- RV Trader Gross Vehicle Weight 1000 to 2000 lbs
Pop up campers around 1500lbs dry weight or less.
- Livin Light QuickSilver 8.1 or 10 site.
- Opus Camper also has the right idea, but expensive!
- Somerset Columbia Northwest Pop-up campers from Aliner. Lots of Aluminum like Livin' Lite, but a cranked hard top, not canvas.
- Forest River seems to have changed ownership
- Palomino, Rockwood, Flagstaff now is owned by Berkshire Hathatway. The Palomino Pony 280 is an old small model with good reviews. The new RLT-8 is small. The old Rockwood 1640LTD is small. Flagstaff Model 176LTD 8' box. Seen at rental places.
- Coleman Toas #3075 or Larado 3070 (More affordable, small standard wood and plastic popup). Company folded in 2011 but the earlier years seem ok in the small models.
- Starcraft Starflyer 8 and 10 and 2106.
- Jayco Jay Series Sport 8SD.
- Viking 1906. Seen at rental places.
- Fleetwood Sedona 8' box. Seen at rental places.
- ALiner Newport and Chesapeake
- Opus Camper. Pricey, hauls things too.
- Sylvan Sport. Hip, but small and expensive.
- iKamper roof top small tent. Not really for families, but perhaps for parents when the kids are bigger and take the entire pop up?
- Microlite P'Up site. Only a tent with two beds. Microlite P'up video
Hard Top Ultra Light RV Trailers
- Exhaustive research up to 2009 of ulatralight RV trailers by John Willis
- 2015 Video on Molded Fiberglass trailers.
- Fiberglass RV sub-community.
- Fiberglass sub-comminity for Sale. Fiberglass RV For Sale.
- Scamp Trailers. Have bunk beds for kids in base model Scamp 13'. Photos here on Google Images.
- Casita trailers. Very popular but hard to get bunks on 13? And loaded with stuff we don't want.
- Happy Camper from California makes a great tiny RV that you can get with nothing or just beds, etc. Expensive, but this is what I wish other's would do more of! Opus Camper also has the right idea, but expensive!
- Cricket camper.
- Malletts Bay Campground, Colchester, VT. (802)863-6980
- North Beach Campground, Burlington, VT.
- D.A.R. in Vermont on Lake Champlain
- DAR State Forest in Goshen MA. 78 Cape Street. Rte. 112. Goshen, MA 01032. Friends recommend, have not been myself.
- Malletts Bay Campground. 88 Malletts Bay Campground Rd. Colchester, VT 0544. Friends live there every summer, have not been myself.
- Lake Masssasecum Campground. Friends recommend, have not been myself.
RV Trader search for Palomino Pony 50 mi from Brat: http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Palomino-Pop-Up-Camper-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?type=Pop%20Up%20Camper|198071&sort=geo_distance%3Aasc&zip=05301&radius=50&page=1&make=Palomino|2289282&model=PONY|764846886&
Search Camping World for 50 miles from zip
Search RV Trader 50 miles.
Major Sites, Specs and Media
- Camping world
- RV Trader
- Best Lightweight Tent Trailer Options
- Roaming Times: http://www.roamingtimes.com/smalltraveltrailers/index.aspx
- Build one: http://popuptimes.com/?p=685
DiscussionsTowing with an Subaru:
Subie manual: http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/download/Manuals/English/MSA5M1003A_Forester_OM.pdf
Forum posts: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=22166.0
Livin' Light debate
Rent/BuyRV Share site: https://rvshare.com/
Ruby's RV in S. Maine. 207-671-2236. 55.00 per night - $330.00 per week https://www.outdoorsy.com
Seacoast RV; 729 Portland Rd. US Route 1, Saco, ME 04072 ,(800) 718-5884
Rent: Bow, NH 03304
530 S. Stark Hwy, Weare, New Hampshire 03281 (888) 277-8948
426 Middlesex Rd, Tyngsboro, MA 01879
27 Lawnacre Rd, Windsor Locks, CT 06096
1629 NY-7, Troy, NY 12180
Mekkelsen RV2419 US Route 2 E. Montpelier, VT 05651 http://www.mekkelsenrv.com/
Rents for $320 per weekend/ 3 nights.
- Repair: http://www.hannarv.com/P/PopUpCamperCottonCanvasRepairKitBeige/22778
- Bear Creek had forum discussions and canvas replacements
Slush LinksVermont RV
169 Marlboro Rd.
Brattleboro, VT 05301
We're ready to try pop-up tent camping.
Friday, April 1, 2016
UPDATE:There's a Tesla Model 3 tracker up linked off this article
- Source: Clean Technica How The EV Tax Credit Work for the Tesla Model 3..."
"If we also assume that Tesla hits the 200,000 milestone in the US on July 1, 2018, then we’d be looking at around 75,000 Model 3 buyers in the US being eligible for the full credit and over 150,000 Model 3 buyers being eligible for a partial credit."
"If your federal tax liability in the year you buy the car is greater than $7,500, then you can deduct the full $7,500 from your taxes. If your tax liability is less than $7,500, then your tax burden will be decreased to zero for that year. In other words, if you only owe $5,000 in federal taxes (before the tax credit), you will pay $0 that year, but you won’t get an additional bonus of $2,500."
"Your order in the production queue is determined by when you configure your car and confirm your order."
Model 3 Tracker Now Available For Reservation Holders – Loads Of Early Data
goes to the tracker here
Tesla Model 3 Tracker
I did itI reserved a model 3 a hour before the unveiling show started! So exciting! Shaw happened to be up since he went to sleep extra early, then a passing "I.C.E." Harley woke him up...ironic...or fitting?! Here's the video of him watching.
Here's the Video Of The Event
Here's an interesting snipit from a post by Sebastian Blanco over at AutoBlog who got a test ride.
"The driver also said that the 3 will be available as AWD, but when it's not operating in AWD mode, the 3 is RWD"...snip..."Luckily, the 3's all-glass top is an option, and not one I'd choose."
That makes me think, "Subaru Forester Replacement" and "Roof Rack!"
Here's some screenshots from the Tesla Motors website photo slide show.
|Unique front. No grill needed for air cooling of hot, stinky, poopy ICE (Internal Combustion Engine)|
|Lots of glass, looks like the trunk might open nicely where the glass ends.|
My Tesla Model 3 Interesting Little Observations.We all know now: 5-star safety rating in each category, not an average. < 6-second 0-60mph. $35,000. Seats five comfortably. 215 or better range. "Frunk" and Trunk that means it can fit a 7 foot surf board inside. Autopilot and supercharger ready.
What I found interesting looking very closely at the opening videos again was:
- Sealed front grill, clearly an EV and different than the Model S and X.
- Glass roof, all the way back looked amazing but was only mentioned in passing.
- Screen on dash looked very replaceable and not permanently built in.
Questions I have About the Tesla Model 3 Are:
- Does the trunk open wide like a hatch, or after the roof glass ends?
- Does the screen move on the dash?
- Are the Superchargers really free still?
- What kind of home electric capability do I need? Can it work on 110 Volt to trickle charge?
- Does it have more room than my Subaru Forester?
- Will they have a lease?
Following the news leading up the the event
- Wired Germany leak of Tesla Model 3 looks like? Seems like a planned leak to me...
- Lots of press, this is a solid summary from Bloomberg, Tesla Model 3, What we Know So Far
- I'm in. Who's with me? It's so refundable! Tesla Model 3 Reservation Agreement.
- What will the Tesla Model 3 Look Like, from Electrek
- Will it strain the charging network (MIT tech review)? We have a Tesla Charging station in our town, little Brattleboro, Vermont. It's hardly ever used, mostly there I think to make one in Vermont happen, and because it's midway between New York City and Montreal, Canada.
Here's Why I Might Actually Buy a Tesla Model 3I've been following Tesla Motors since their first car. The mission back then was to build some expensive electric cars that funded the R&D to learn how to make an affordable electric car. That car will be announced March 31st, and available to reserve for $1000.00 on during the event carried live at Tesla.com.
Here's a blog post today about how to reserve a Tesla Model 3.
I've made a little money on TSLA stock, so I'll use that for the $1000 down.
We have two cars, a 2009 and 2002 Subaru Foresters. The 2009 has 70,000 miles. We bought it used with a loan we paid off in less then a year.
The 2002 has 220,000 miles and is on its last legs for safe and long family trips at least. It's a beater for a long time if we need one. We use it as a town car mostly. So, by the end of 2017, when the Model 3 is slated to appear, it will be time for a new car. And we certainly don't need TWO all wheel drive cars! One low gas mileage SUV is enough. The Forester averages about 22 MPG and lower in winter around town. Ridiculous. It's very stable and safe though, so it's good for towing a tent trailer for a family vacation full of crap, including the roof rack. And for snow, bumpy, muddy dirt roads, 300 miles trips between fillups, etc.
Now, I've always bought cars for cash, except for '09 we paid off quick, as my grandmother taught me. She said that if you don't have the cash, you can't afford the car, and car loans are some of the worst in the world due to the declining value of new cars once you buy them. I believe this. So I'm in a bind.
We'll see what the details are in a couple of weeks on the Tesla Model 3 though! I want to be part of the revolution in mass market EVs that I think the Tesla Model 3 will be a big part of kicking off, similar to the Ford Model T.